By 2025, One Out of Every Four BMWs Sold to be Electric: BMW India Head

BMW wants 25% of its sales from EVs by the year 2025

BMW India has shared its plans for its future lineup of electric vehicles. The German luxury carmaker is betting big on electric drivetrains and has announced an ambitious target for the same. As per a recent statement by a top executive of the company, BMW is targetting as much as 25 per cent of all its vehicle sales to come from electric cars by 2025.

The aim was recently shared by BMW Group India President & CEO Vikram Pawah in an interaction with The Economic Times. At present, electric vehicles comprise 10 per cent of the overall sales of BMW India. In his interview, Pawah mentioned that the company is working to increase this figure to 15 per cent by next year and to an impressive 25 per cent by 2025. This means by 2025, out of every 4 cars that BMW sells, one will be electric.

BMW already leads the Luxury EV market in India, with 48 per cent of the share of such EVs. BMW India has even attained the milestone of selling 1000 BMW electric vehicles in India.  BMW EVs compete with some well-known EVs from car manufacturers like Volvo India, Mercedes-Benz India, and Audi India. “We have the widest portfolio of electric vehicles in the country with five distinct offerings. We have seen strong demand for electric vehicles and will continue to launch more products in this space to consolidate our leadership position”, Pawah told ET. 

Moreover, the brand has decided to launch 12 EVs globally by the year 2023. Currently, the company has 5 electric vehicles on sale which include the BMW i4, i7, iX, iX1 and BMW-owned Mini Electric. Talking about the sales figures BMW had its best sales in the Indian market last year, rolling out 11,981 units. In 2023, BMW has recorded growth of 10 per cent, selling 9,580 units already. In the last month, BMW has sold over 1,439 units and Pawah added “We recorded our best-ever monthly sales of 1,439 cars in September. We expect the momentum to continue and are on track to report record sales for the full year”.

BMW India is doing well with ICE vehicles too. In India, the sales of top-end vehicles are increasing at a faster pace than ever before. The same goes with BMW India, as BMW has seen its sales figures rise for the top-end luxury cars that cost over Rs 1.5 crore. With the trend still going strong, BMW expects this year to be its best sales year in India till now.